A Smörgåsbord of Side Effects


Here’s fun: Which of the Seven Dwarves are you most like? You may check up to ten if you’ve recently had a craniotomy.

○ Sleepy
○ Sleepless
Dopey (I’ll just go ahead and check this one for you now.)
○ Happy
Super Happy! 😁😍
○ Grumpy
○ Aggro
(call your) Doc(tor immediately if you have suicidal ideation)
Bashful Weepy
Sneezy Sweaty
○ Ravenous Sugar Beast
○ Peevish
○ Anxious
○ Drowsy
○ Shaky
○ Depersonalized (Holy crap! Really?!)
○ Manic
○ Obsessive
○ Dizzy
○ Easily Distracted

 If you checked five or more, you’re probably taking a corticosteroid for brain swelling and an anti-seizure medication. Welcome to fun world of Decadron and Keppra! Fortunately, your visit to this world will only last a few weeks, but you may want to strap yourself in (and your loved ones) for the wild ride. Your results may vary, but here’s how I responded to the meds:
My Decadron issues began the first night in the hospital. After surgery, your body and brain are exhausted and there’s still anesthesia working its way through you. Sounds like a great time to sleep, right?

I wish.
Sleeplessness                      ○ Obsessive-compulsive thoughts               
Of course, I had nurses waking me up to take vitals and do neurological tests every hour or two, so my sleep was interrupted, but my freakin’ mind just wouldn’t shut off. I think the first night, I was disturbed by instructions for creating a Google Chrome playlist. Here’s the kicker: I use Groove Music for my playlists and I only ever use the Chrome browser at work, so my instructions weren’t even accurate. And, more importantly, at that moment I. Couldn’t. Care. Less. But I spent a few hours thinking about it anyway.

The next night, at least I got a video to go with my obsessive thought loops: Some guy I barely knew in high school posted on Facebook that he went for a bike ride. This endlessly repeating concept kept me awake for FIVE HOURS. I felt that if I could just get to the end of it, I would understand the point and be able to stop thinking about it. But there was no point! And there was no end! My brain was torturing me.
I had several such nights of boring-ass, pointless, incessant thoughts that prevented me from sleeping at night and napping during the day. However, I did have these other side effects to distract me:
Blurred vision (just a few days)   
Feeling wired (I started this blog and feverishly wrote posts for it in the first week and a half after surgery.)
Trouble thinking (Hard to say what’s the meds and what’s the surgery; see post “A Tale of Two Mondays” for an example. Or almost any other post, for that matter.) 
Sweating (Usually at night, and I’d often wake up with my pajama top damp but I was already chilled.)       
Increased hunger (My stomach was an abyss into which food disappeared without leaving a trace. I totally marked “Ravenous Sugar Beast” above.)
Full face and neck (Linebackers would envy my neck girth right now.)
Unexplained weight loss (I’m not complaining about this one, especially given the “Ravenous Sugar Beast” thing. Weight gain is far more common.)
Muscle weakness (Just a few days, but I hated feeling so frail. Walking, though it tired me, helped combat this sensation immensely.)
Muscle pain (Hmm, maybe… see future post “From Zero to Excruciating”)

But I tapered off the Decadron in about three weeks. The sugar beast went away, as did the manic energy. I missed that a bit because I was getting sh** done by waking around 4-5 in the morning and getting out of bed at 6:00AM – and I was never a morning person before surgery.

And then Keppra started showing what it could do. After my neurosurgeon first mentioned Keppra, I looked it up and emailed my sister the link listing the possible side effects. Her response was, “So Keppra’s potential side effects are … all of them?” Yep, pretty much.

I’ve used the word “fortunate” a great many times in this blog because I have been. One of the first side effects mentioned for Keppra is “anger, rage, hostility.” So far (and knock on every piece of wood in the house), I have not experienced that, but judging from what I’ve read of other people’s experiences this is what it is like (and I turn again to Bears vs. Babies from the brilliant creator of The Oatmeal):

If you see this face on a recent craniotomate, RUN! The Keppra Bunny will bite your friggin’ head off and then sob hysterically because your stupid bones hurt her teeth.

My Keppra experience has been more of a sampler platter of minor effects:
Euphoria (For a while, I loved EVERYBODY! I felt GREAT! I THOUGHT IN ALL CAPS! CRANIOTOMIES ARE FUN! And then I realized that there are some notable exceptions to my love list, that occasionally I felt like I had just had brain surgery, and that it’s hard to read all caps.)
Irritability (Poor Brian nearly got an elbow in the sternum one early morning when I felt he was too twitchy and breathing on me.)
Shakiness                ○ Sleeplessness (Yep, a double dose of that.)  
Tiredness (Cruel when you can’t sleep.)
Trouble concentrating (I went from nigh-laser focus to … Squirrel!)
Pale skin (About two weeks in, I suddenly resembled a vampire.)
Loosening of the skin (Disturbing. The skin on my calves felt loose and sensitive for a couple weeks. I didn’t like touching it because it felt like someone else’s.)
Muscle pain (Same as Decadron in the uncertainty here. See future post “From Zero to Excruciating”)
Unusual drowsiness (This only happened twice. On Black Friday, I took a Keppra before going out to brunch with Brian. By the time we arrived, I was so drowsy, he had three eyes.)

So if you are the caregiver/significant other of a craniotomate who’s been prescribed either of these medications, you have my sympathies. Some of us may win the biochemical lottery and get a relatively easy list of side effects, but others of us may be as unpredictable as a rabid badger juggling flaming chainsaws. (Ooh! That could be a good monster for Bears vs. Babies!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Post-Craniotomy Media Diet

Fashion for the Newly Discharged Craniotomate